building CUNY Communities since 2009Posts RSS Comments RSS

New Year’s Resolution

I’ve been living on Long Island for two and a half years now.  Although there are a ton of amazing places to bird and explore and odd species turn up frequently I definitely have not taken full advantage of the opportunities presented to me.  My resolution this year is to bird LI thoroughly, visit places I have not been, and most importantly to try to see as many bird species as I possibly can on LI in 2012.

After 4 days things are going pretty well.  I’ve added at least one new species every day.  I tallied 50 on the 1st doing a CBC in Nassau County, and 8 more in the past three days.  I am 1 for 2 with western vagrants.  I saw the Grace’s warbler at Point Lookout on Monday but wasted a lot of time and gas driving out to Calverton on Tuesday to try for the mountain bluebird which was a bust.  For now I am impatiently awaiting a possible Montauk trip next weekend and then the annual NYS Waterfowl Survey the weekend after that.

2 responses so far

2 Responses to “New Year’s Resolution”

1. Fantastic–I try to increase my New York State year list count every year and make that effort to go out as much as possible (and chase those rarities I can get to). As a non-driver and the news about the Grace’s Warbler tantalized me all week. The Brooklyn CBC was a bit of a bust, btw.

I hope to participate in the NYS Waterfowl Survey but in Brooklyn. And the Brooklyn Bird Club is doing its annual Coney Island outing this Saturday.

I feel sort of guilty that I got home at 3:30 on New Year’s Eve and never made it to the Brooklyn Bird Club’s New Year’s Day walk. It’s just not easy being a birder!

2. […] own birdwatching community checked in and reported back to us.  From the sounds of it the Mountain Bluebird is tough to catch.  Keep us posted on […]